b-hebrew - Negative Wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Negative Wayyiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:32:34 -0500

Dear Prof. Niccacci,
You have said that "welo' + qatal" is a negative wayyiqtol, while
x-qatal is lo' + verb. Two questions:
1- Is this idea found in your in your _Syntax_? I have looked, but
cannot find it there.
2- Do other scholars agree? Lambdin, for example makes no distinction
(§132), nor does Joüon (§160).
3- Do you suggest similar differences when lo' appears with the yiqtol?

It seems to me that these are important questions, given the fact that
lo' occurs over 2700 times in the Hebrew Bible.
--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee

  • Negative Wayyiqtol, Lee R. Martin, 02/22/1999