b-hebrew - Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan) (George)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan) (George)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:32:27 +0100

At 10.18 29/01/99 +1100, George Athas wrote:
>Peter,
>
>I haven't read Garbini's article for quite a while now, but I remember
>when I was reading it, every one of his points against the authenticity
>of the fragments was easily countered.

Hi George.

Unfortunately, you've said this before, but never demonstrated this claim.
I think it's about time you dealt with the claim and not just added another
statement of it. You didn't come forward with anything substantial on ANE
other than to say that Garbini was working on an understanding of the waw
consecutive that was different from yours. (I remember Peter Daniels didn't
agree with you.)

Ian

>In the end, I remember thinking
>that I would have to specifically address his arguments in my thesis,
>but the arguments made no real threat to the authenticity of the
>fragments. In fact, I think he was misreading much of the evidence to
>start with, but I can't quite remember exactly. I will be addressing it
>farily soon, though. Perhaps when I do, I'll send a post to the forum.

  • Re: Historical David (Tel-Dan) (George), Ian Hutchesson, 01/28/1999