b-hebrew - Poetry (was [6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29))

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Poetry (was [6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29))
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:47:05 -0500

B-Haverim,

Read Chaucer, Pope, Shakespeare, Frost, Milton, Donne, Shelly, Coleridge,
Wordsworth, Elliot(you get the idea)--from saint to rebel, from England to
America, from realist to transcendentalist, it's all grammatically flawless
English. If poetry is not grammatical it is not intelligible. The skill
of the poet is that he plays his game *within* the boundaries. Yes,
English poetry is written in English. I will admit that we may find some
examples here and there of Twentieth Century English poems that are not
grammatical, but what are we to expect from the age of paint-splashers and
jazz(both of which are interesting to me)? Do we think such abstraction
was the ideal of the Biblical culture?

I am not asserting that BH poetry is a more natural or colloquial BH per
se, although I have thrown out the idea for consideration on this list. I
still think it's worth toying with the idea for fun. What I do notice is
that the distribution of verb forms and clause structures is more regular
in BH prose than poetry. I also note that the Hebrews were unusual in the
ANE in their using prose for a national literature. It makes me suspect
that BH prose could be a literary dialect with fairly rigorous constraints.
The prose has a rather grand and majestic rhythm to me that I do not find
jives with my sense of the colloquial. I can add cross-cultural evidence:
most good third-person prose narratives in English are *not* colloquial in
stylistics/pragmatics. Remember that elementary school teacher that told
you to "just write the way you speak"? The good writers of English third
person prose narrative never listened to her.

Peter, I think your suggestion to look for the semantics of the BH verb
forms in direct speech makes sense. In the end, though, we have to look at
all the text we have, partly because we have so little text. We only see
part of a language in the Tanak. One of these days I would like to post to
the b-hebrew for discussion the test sentences I would put before a native
speaker of BH if only the Lord could raise one up so I could sit with him
for an hour and he could label sentences tov o lo tov. I would want around
half of the test sentences to go probing for what is lo tov, right? That
so that we could pin down the limits of this language. What sentences
would you put before him?

HTH

Shalom,
Bryan