b-hebrew - Re: ruth 1.17 oath

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: SheMichael AT aol.com
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ruth 1.17 oath
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:11:05 EST

In a message dated 12/28/98 8:53:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Peter_Kirk AT sil.org writes:

<< Israelite religion <...>the more appropriate thought would be
"only death will part us" rather than "not even death will part us".>>

I'm not so sure. In Gen 37:35, Jacob certainly seems to be saying "I
will go
down to my son mourning, Sheol-ward." That line really doesn't seem to be
saying that mourning will be the death of him; but rather that he will still
be mourning Joseph when they are joined in Sheol.
As Ruth expects to be buried with Naomi, it doesn't look to me as if
she
expects death to part them.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels