b-hebrew - Re: Gen. 35:7--A Divine Encounter?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Edgar Foster <questioning1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen. 35:7--A Divine Encounter?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:26:20 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jonathan,

I personally have no problem with the passages you cite as proof that
Yahweh revealed Himself in the Tanakh. The problems Pannenberg
delineates, however, are as follows:

(1) The Greek terms in the Bible translated "to reveal" do not have
God as their unqualified object.

(2) God always reveals "something" or "someone," never precisely
"himself" in the Bible.

(3) Any appearances mentioned in the Hebrew Bible are epiphanies, not
revelations per se.

I guess the issue that piques my curiosity is whether Gen. 35:7 makes
God the unqualified object of the revelation in question. Is there
really a difference between saying: "God appeared to Jacob" and "God
revealed Himself to Jacob"?

Sincerely,

Edgar Foster
Classics Major
Lenoir-Rhyne College
Hickory, NC

---"Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il> wrote:

> Edgar Foster wrote:
>

> > Recently I was reading _Revelation As History_ edited by Wolfhart
> > Pannenberg and I came across an interesting statement. This book
> > postulates the notion that Yahweh never revealed Himself in the
Hebrew