b-hebrew - Re: (motives) atheism and Hebrew scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: a.c.smith AT juno.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: (motives) atheism and Hebrew scholarship
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 11:06 -0500 (EST)

Don't forget that the Bible is still the world's best seller, and
millions of people are committed to encouraging others to read it. So
there is a lot of support, even quite a lot of money around for new
translations etc, and this filters back to money for research and
training. If people wanted to read Homer, or to persuade others to, no
doubt the support for research would come. Sad to say, the days of
research into ancient texts just "because they are there" have come to
an end.

Peter Kirk