b-hebrew - Re: 1 sam 1, subchain proposal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Vincent DeCaen" <decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 sam 1, subchain proposal
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:09:16 -0500

EUREKA! HE'S FOUND IT!

Exactly. E.g., in 1 Sam 1 we have Expository Discourse which has a
verbless clause for its mainline. We also have Procedural Discourse which
has weqatal for its mainline. But both the Expository and the Procedural
are embedded within or hosted by the Historical Narrative with its
wayyiqtol mainline. So the Expository and Procedural, while having their
own mainlines, are also themselves off-the-line relative to the host
Historical Narrative. In fact, in vv. 1-3 we may even have Procedural
embedded inside Expository, which in turn is also embedded within the H.
Narrative. I think one of my last posts suggests the structure
graphically.

To my knowledge, I am the only one who describes the system just this way.
I abandon Longacre's paragraph types for this alternative. By abandoning
Longacre's paragraphs I avoid the important den Exter Blokland criticisms
of Longacre. I alter L.'s verb-ranking cline by calling it a discourse
profile scheme and by inserting into the scheme the phenomenon of discourse
embedding. I want to continue with the description in the analysis of
poetry which I see as the discourse of case-building, either hortatory or
argumentative. I don't know if L's going to buy it.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Vincent DeCaen <decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: 1 sam 1, subchain proposal
> Date: Sunday, November 29, 1998 3:29 PM
>
> here's a thought to chew on....
>
> let's buy all the business about wayyiqtol, etc, etc., a al longacre,
> etc.
>
> is it possible that a weqatal could provide a subchain or subbackbone
> or a subwhatever for a mainline wayyiqtol?? kind'a a multidimensional
> something or other, but hey...
>
> mainline......................
> |
> ---> submainline.....................
>
> crucially, not "offline".
>
> so instead of having X qatal --> wayyiqtol, period
> possible sequence Xqatal --> wayyiqtol --> weqatal, where weqatal
> both online and yet not quite online.
>
> don't know. too wild. can't believe I'm trying to advance this model,
> but don't get me started. ;-) might add just enough flex to make the
> model viable, though. hmmmmmm.
>
> what say?

-=-
> Vincent DeCaen, Ph.D. <decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.