b-hebrew - Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan III

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan III
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:15:30 -0500

Dear Rolf,

With a couple exceptions(particularly with the LXX), I find the alternative
texts to confirm the discourse analysis I put forth a post or two ago.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan
> Date: Thursday, November 26, 1998 8:57 AM
>

> Dear Vince and Bryan,
>
> I view 1 Samuel 1 as a good example of the inadequacy of generative
grammar
> or discourse analysis as tools to explain the meaning of verbs. This
> chapter also illustrates the inadequacy of the explanations of
traditional
> grammar.
>
> Some time ago I made a comparison between the Hebrew text and the text of
> the LXX (G) Targum Jonathan (T), the Peshitta (S), and the Ge'ez version
> (E). In Greek, aspect is connected with the single verb and not with
> clauses or discourse units. An aorist is always perfective and an
imperfect
> is always imperfective. I have never seen anybody claim that aspect is
> connected with anything but the single verb also in Syriac and Ge'ez. A
> study of the versions reveal how they understood the Hebrew verbs of 1.
> Samuel, and an interesting challenge for you would be to make a synthesis
> of the verbs of the versions and the Hebrew text on the basis of
discourse
> analysis or generative grammar.
>
> Below I list the renditions of the versions of the first 10 verses:
>
> a = aorist
> i = imperfect (corresponding to Hebrew yiqtol)
> p = perfect (corresponding to Hebrew qatal)
> part = participle (participle + perfect in Syriac is defined as durative
> past (imperfective))
> pass =passive
> inf = infinitive
> w = waw
>
> v 1, 2 wayhi (G:i, T,S w+p, E: p) NB, G imperfective, T,S,E perfective
>
> v 3 we(flf (G:a, T:w+part,S:part+p,E:i) NB, G-perfective, T,S,E -
> imperfective
>
> v 4 wayhi (G: GINOMAI, a,pass,T,S:w+p) NB, all perfective
> wayyizbax (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
> wenatan (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
>
> v 5 yiten (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective
> (fheb (G:i,T: part,S:part+p,E:i) NB, all are imperfective
> sfgar (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective
>
> v 6 weki(a:satf (G:-,T: part,S: part+p,E:p) NB, T,S imperfective, E
perfective
> sfgar (G:a,T,S-E:p) NB, all are perfective
>
> v 7 ya(a:se (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective
> takisennf (G:i,T:part,S: part+p,E:i?) NB, all are imperfective
> wattibke (G:i,T:part,S:p,E:i) NB, S perfective G,T,E imperfective
> tokal (G:i,T:part,S:p,G:i) NB, S perfective G,T,E imperfective
>
> v 8 wayyomer (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
>
> v 9 wataqfm (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
> fkelf (G:inf,T,S:p,E:i) NB, TS perfective, E imperfective
> yo$eb (G:i,T,S:part.E;i) NB, All imperfective
>
> v 10 wattitpallel (G:a,T:part,S:part+p, E-) NB, G perfective, T,S
imperfective
> tibke (G:pres.part+a,T:infin+ part, S:part+p,E:p) NB, E
> perfective, G,T.S imperfective.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)

  • Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan III, Bryan Rocine, 11/27/1998