b-hebrew - Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 1 Samuel 1, bryan
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:57:48 +0200

Dear Vince and Bryan,

I view 1 Samuel 1 as a good example of the inadequacy of generative grammar
or discourse analysis as tools to explain the meaning of verbs. This
chapter also illustrates the inadequacy of the explanations of traditional
grammar.

Some time ago I made a comparison between the Hebrew text and the text of
the LXX (G) Targum Jonathan (T), the Peshitta (S), and the Ge'ez version
(E). In Greek, aspect is connected with the single verb and not with
clauses or discourse units. An aorist is always perfective and an imperfect
is always imperfective. I have never seen anybody claim that aspect is
connected with anything but the single verb also in Syriac and Ge'ez. A
study of the versions reveal how they understood the Hebrew verbs of 1.
Samuel, and an interesting challenge for you would be to make a synthesis
of the verbs of the versions and the Hebrew text on the basis of discourse
analysis or generative grammar.

Below I list the renditions of the versions of the first 10 verses:

a = aorist
i = imperfect (corresponding to Hebrew yiqtol)
p = perfect (corresponding to Hebrew qatal)
part = participle (participle + perfect in Syriac is defined as durative
past (imperfective))
pass =passive
inf = infinitive
w = waw

v 1, 2 wayhi (G:i, T,S w+p, E: p) NB, G imperfective, T,S,E perfective

v 3 we(flf (G:a, T:w+part,S:part+p,E:i) NB, G-perfective, T,S,E -
imperfective

v 4 wayhi (G: GINOMAI, a,pass,T,S:w+p) NB, all perfective
wayyizbax (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
wenatan (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective

v 5 yiten (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective
(fheb (G:i,T: part,S:part+p,E:i) NB, all are imperfective
sfgar (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective

v 6 weki(a:satf (G:-,T: part,S: part+p,E:p) NB, T,S imperfective, E perfective
sfgar (G:a,T,S-E:p) NB, all are perfective

v 7 ya(a:se (G:a,T,S,E:p) NB, all perfective
takisennf (G:i,T:part,S: part+p,E:i?) NB, all are imperfective
wattibke (G:i,T:part,S:p,E:i) NB, S perfective G,T,E imperfective
tokal (G:i,T:part,S:p,G:i) NB, S perfective G,T,E imperfective

v 8 wayyomer (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective

v 9 wataqfm (G:a,T,S:w+p,E:p) NB, all perfective
fkelf (G:inf,T,S:p,E:i) NB, TS perfective, E imperfective
yo$eb (G:i,T,S:part.E;i) NB, All imperfective

v 10 wattitpallel (G:a,T:part,S:part+p, E-) NB, G perfective, T,S
imperfective
tibke (G:pres.part+a,T:infin+ part, S:part+p,E:p) NB, E
perfective, G,T.S imperfective.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli