b-hebrew - Re: readability <LYR12657-3460-1998.11.22-00.00.04--rdhoberman#ccmail.sunysb.edu@franklin.oit.unc.edu>

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.Uni-Mainz.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: readability <LYR12657-3460-1998.11.22-00.00.04--rdhoberman#ccmail.sunysb.edu AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:20:32 +0000

R. Hoberman wrote:

> I'm a professional phonologist, accustomed to many different systems of
> phonetic notation, and I know Hebrew well, but I don't know what to make
> of something like w.&:m"xiym. It's possible to transcribe in such a way
> that BOTH all the details in the original are represented AND anyone who
> knows the language but doesn't know the tranliteration code can tell what
> you're talking about.
>
> I'm not writing to propose a particular way of doing this, but convenient
> devices could be to capitalize letters that traditionally have dot
> underneath (Tet versus taw, Het versus he), capitalize certain vowels (A
> versus a), and to use digraphs (such as sh for shin or th for spirantized
> t; the rare occurrence of tav-shwa-he or sin-shwa-he could be separated in
> transciption by a dot or hyphen. Or long vowels could be followed by the
> widely known symbol for length, the colon. There is no need ever to
> represent shwa, because it's always there between two consonants (except
> in the rare cases where the first is silent, in which case it could be put
> in parentheses or the like). There are lots of ways of doing it without
> using Enlish/Roman letters to represent utterly different Hebrew sounds,
> making the transciption opaque. As an example, here's just one
> possibility: bre:'shi:th bArA' 'Elo:hi:m 'e:th hashshAmayim w'e:th
> hA'AreS.
>
> Robert Hoberman
> robert.hoberman AT sunysb.edu

It sound plausible - I would prefer that way of transliteration.

Reinhard G.Lehmann

Reinhard G. Lehmann
Lect. for Classical Hebrew and Aramaic
Johannes-Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
D - 55099 Mainz
tel: +49 - 6131 - 39 3284
mailto:lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de
http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann

  • Re: readability <LYR12657-3460-1998.11.22-00.00.04--rdhoberman#ccmail.sunysb.edu AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Reinhard G.Lehmann, 11/25/1998