b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kgs 1:40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kgs 1:40
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:11:30 -0500

Dear Bryan,
You are wrong. The reason your addition of "with" makes sense is because
(1) "rejoice" is intransitive in English and (2) we have no corresponding
noun in English that means "a rejoicing". You are forcing the Hebrew
meanings to agree with English. If your reasoning were followed, we would
have to reclassify Hebrew stative verbs as adjectives.