b-hebrew - Idioms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brent Lynn Emery" <BRENT.LYNN.EMERY AT prodigy.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Idioms
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:41:57 -0800

In Genesis 40:13 the idiom "lifter of the/my head" is used in its normal idiomatic sense of "to restore/to encourage" while in verse 19  of the same chapter the same idiom is used literally ie your head is going to be lifted---right of your shoulders. I am interested to know if others have found idioms used in a literal sense in other texts of the Hebrew Scripture. Thanks in advance for your input. Shalom, Brent Emery

  • Idioms, Brent Lynn Emery, 11/23/1998