b-hebrew - Re: vetitive, )al - yiqtol and lo) - yiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: vetitive, )al - yiqtol and lo) - yiqtol
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:57:16 +0200

Dear Peter,

The term "vetitive" comes from Accadian grammar. Accadian has two
wishforms: (1) precative - the particle 'lu' plus the preterite (lu +
yablut> liblut = may he live.), and (2) cohortative - the particle 'i' plus
the preterite (i nillik = let us go.) The negated wish is called 'vetitive'
(the particle 'e' (before consonant) and 'ai' ( before vowel) plus the
preterite (ai irubu = let them not enter.) See Akkadian Grammar, A
Ungnad,1992, p 67.

Regards
Rolf Furuli
Lecturer in Semitic languages
University of Oslo

>Please can you explain "vetitive". I (a native English speaker) have
>never heard this word, and it is not in my large English dicionary.
>Neither is it in the index of GKC, nor, from a quick glance, in the
>sections on the construction in question, so it can hardly be a
>standard term in Hebrew grammar.
>
>Peter Kirk
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: furuli AT online.no
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

  • Re: vetitive, )al - yiqtol and lo) - yiqtol, Rolf Furuli, 11/04/1998