b-hebrew - Re: )al - yiqtol and lo) - yiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: )al - yiqtol and lo) - yiqtol
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 98 12:04:31

On Tue 3 Nov 98 (19:47:38), 596547 AT ican.net wrote:
> Can someone point me to literature beyond the standard grammars which
> discusses the distinction between the vetitive )al yiqtol and prohibitive
> lo) yiqtol? Thanks much. Or perhaps you have your own intuitions
> you'd like to share?

Dear Bryan

I was always taught that `aL plus the Jussive was a *Dissuasion*; either
`aL-TiQ+eLuW or `aL-YiQ+oL (with MaQQePh): "Don't kill; Let him not kill".
This is a sort of negative entreaty, rather than a Veto or a Prohibition.

But a very strong *Prohibition* (is that what you mean by Vetitive, from
/veto/, I prohibit?) uses Lo' plus the Jussive; e.g. Lo' TiRTsaCh (Exodus
20:13, thou shalt not murder) [not quite the same as Thou shalt not kill].

In most cases the Jussive is identical with the Imperfect. OTOH the
Imperative is the Imperfect minus its pronominal prefix. The Imperative
is always used for positive Commands; never for negative Prohibitions or
Inhibitions. That's where `aL or Lo' plus the Jussive comes in.

My 2c.

ShaLoWM

Ben
--