b-hebrew - (Fwd) Re: Off topic: history

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: (Fwd) Re: Off topic: history
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:19:38 -0500

On 26 Oct 98, at 20:52, Brady R. Johnson wrote:

> My question is this: In looking at the question of whether Jews
> have ever engaged in forced conversions, I recalled reading of two
> incidents in which Jewish forces held different villages hostage,
> forced them to convert and in one case succeeded (they converted),
> and in the other case slaughtered the villagers when they refused.
> My recollection is that this occurred early in the Maccabean era
> or slightly before it. Needless to say, my recall on these points
> is quite hazy. My preliminary investigations have turned up
> nothing to corroborate my recollection however.

According to 1&2 Maccabees, and Josephus the Hasmonean
ruler John Hyrcanus I conquered Idumea in 129 BCE and
forcibly converted the non-Jewish population. One of his
sons, Aristobulus, is reported to have forcibly converted
the Itureans, who had infiltrated Galilee.

Lewis Reich
LBR AT sprynet.com

  • (Fwd) Re: Off topic: history, Lewis Reich, 11/03/1998