b-hebrew - Meaning of Moses name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Noel O'Riordan" <nor AT iol.ie>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Meaning of Moses name
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:10:30 -0000

As a new comer to biblical hebrew I am struck by the similarity between the name Moses and the hebrew verb 'mashah'   which means 'to draw out' or 'to save/rescue'  When the vocalisation is not used the two words are identical in form and I wonder is there some possibility that the name Moses may have some link to this verb or indeed is the verb a possible source for the name.

Could the name Moses be a personification of an ancient hebrew myth of a rescuer, and not one of the more traditional explanations?

I fear that my little theory will crumble when I see the replys to my e-mail but believe me Hebrew is a very rare animal indeed in Ireland and my knowledge is very limited but I hope growing.

Noel O'Riordan.