b-hebrew - Re: Atonement in the Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Atonement in the Pentateuch
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 98 01:28:13

On Sun 27 Sep 98 (16:55:37), 596547 AT ican.net wrote:

> Questions for the b-hebrewers: The RSV and KJV translate Lev 8:15
> significantly differently. Which is better? Is the Heb word _KiPuRiyM_
> ever properly rendered "reconcilliation"?

Both are less accurate than the LXX, IMHO. The root KPR in the Qal
means "to cover"; in the Pi`el, "to atone; to make reconciliation for".

The LXX has ...KAI TO hAIMA EXECEEN EPI THN BASIN TOU QUSIASTHRIOU,
*KAI hHGIASEN AUTO, TOU EXILASASQAI EP' AUTOU*.

KiPPeR seems to be rendered hILASKOMAI in the LXX; also in the New
Testament we have hILASKOMAI and hILASTHRION used in the sense of
Reconciliation: God's wrath is propitiated by the sacrifice upon the altar,
and so God and man are reconciled. Compare LeKaPPeR `aWoN in Daniel 9:24.

The hILASTHRION is the Mercy Seat rather than the Altar in Hebrews 9:5.
The other NT word for Reconcile is KATALASSW, KATALLAGH (Romans 5:11;
2 Corinthians 5:18-19; Hebrews 2:17).

> Heb: WaYQaDD$"Hu L:KaP"r (@L@yW
> RSV: "and [he] consecrated it, to make atonement for it."
> KJV: and [he] sanctified it, to make reconciliation upon it.

To my mind, a more accurate rendition would be:
"and he poured the blood upon the base of the altar,
*and he sanctified it, to make atonement thereupon*".

The atonement is not for the profanity of the altar, but for the sins
of the people, on whose behalf sin-offerings *are going to be continuously
offered upon* this newly-consecrated altar.

YoM-KiPPuR falls this Wednesday. It was then that HaKKaPPoReT came
into its own, of course...

ShaLoWM
Ben
--