b-hebrew - Re: Indirect volitives in Genesis 1?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: spedrson AT juno.com
  • Subject: Re: Indirect volitives in Genesis 1?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:35:00 +0800

Trevor M Peterson wrote:

> But the problem is that
> they don't go far enough in their discussion to justify or condemn my
> attempts in Genesis 1. The three waw-jussives in question (vv. 6,9,26)
> follow, respectively, two jussives and a cohortative, which is similar
> but not quite the same as following an imperative. I'm particularly
> curious about this, since W&O do point out that a sequence of imperatives
> does not behave the same way. My question then (which they really don't
> seem to answer in what they cover) is whether a jussive-jussive sequence
> (or cohortative-jussive) would be expected to follow the
> imperative-jussive nuance or the imperative-imperative.

Trevor,

Based on their discussion in 39.2.5b, of which Gen 1:26 is Example 5, I would
assume
they view this in the same way as imperative-imperative. The result is close
to being
the same, but the overt form would be two different volitional statements.

I realize this is a reversal of my previous agreement with your proposition,
but W&O'C
treat what each of us were doing in 39.2.5a, "There is a tendency, both in
translation
and commentary, to assign to the conjunctive was a more logically distinct
value where
possible; this tendency may obscure the distinctive shape of Hebrew
narrative."

I realize we can disagree with them, but I don't have the ammunition right
now to
fight them!

HTH,

Paul