b-hebrew - Re: Verbs in Ps 18 ans 2 Sam 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Verbs in Ps 18 ans 2 Sam 22
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 14:53:00 -0400

Hi Rolf,

Ha! Ha! NT Greek! I am not well-versed enough in Gk to have a view! But
even in my ignorance, I have a couple comments: BH is not Gk. I am in no
way trying to suggest that no languages grammaticize aspect. I don't even
claim that BH does not grammaticize aspect. The verbal participle is
imperfective. Maybe the wayyiqtol is perfective. That's all, though.
Let me add (with my head drawn a bit inside my shoulders in anticipation of
a possible scolding) that I am under the impression that the Gk aorist is
typically used to move narrative time forward. In my lingo, it is
typically the mainline verb form of a historical narrative like BH's
wayyiqtol. Such aorists are perfective. Now whether aorists can also be
used in clauses that are imperfective, I defer to you. I wouldn't be
surprised that they can in which case perhaps we may refer to the
imperfectivity of the clause as derived.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Verbs in Ps 18 ans 2 Sam 22
> Date: Sunday, September 06, 1998 3:24 AM
>

> Dear Bryan,
>
> I have several objections to your definition of perfectivity and
> imperfectivity as a function of clauses rather than of verb forms. I will
> post these later. Now I have two questions: (1) The verbs of Prov
31:13-28,
> are they perfective or imperfective, and what is the reason for the
> judgement? (2) As regards New Testament Greek, it is universally accepted
> that perfectivity and imperfectivity are connected with verb forms and
not
> with clauses. In your view, are all aorists perfective and all imperfects
> imperfective, or can both forms be perfective and imperfective, depending
> on the context?
>
> Regards
> Rolf
>
> Rolf Furuli