b-hebrew - Re: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:24:15 -0400

Dear Philip,

At 11:44 AM 8/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Shalom!
>
>I'm studying the dependent uses of the jussive and cohortative.
>
>Does anyone know whether the nature of the condition (e.g., assumed true,
assumed false, future-more probable, etc.) determines what verb form the
speaker chooses in the protasis of his conditional sentence?

>Thank you in advance.
>
>Philip Brown

I am not sure what you are asking quite. Is the jussive/cohortative in the
protasis or apodosis? I'm not sure wht you mean by "dependent uses of the
jussive and cohortative." Some examples might help. I think the qatal is
used in the protasis when the condition is assumed true or assumed false,
and the yiqtol is used when the condition is considered possible or
probable. The "possible/probable" protasis, if continued to give
additional conditions, will often be continued by weqatal.

Hoping to help,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor