b-hebrew - Re: Beginner's Resources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ed Gorham" <egorham AT ackerley.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Beginner's Resources
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 8:46:48

Jonathan,
First of all, let me tell you that as a new B-Greek subscriber, I find your
stuff very helpful. Thanks for all your work.
I am just beginning Hebrew, on my own, Several attempts to get started in
the past have left me frustrated. My brother in law is an OT prof, and he
recommended Page Kelley's Biblical Hebrew as the best text for self-study.
I've begun going through it, and I find that it proceeeds at a nice easy
pace, with lots of exercises (I know how you like lots of exercises!). So
far, the old frustration is being kept well at bay.
Also worth a look is the introductory grammar by Bonnie Kittel. She was a
prof at Yale until her untimely death, and two of her friends actually
finished the grammar for her. My brother in law's caveat is that her
classrooom approach was outstanding, but doesn't necessarily translate well
into textbook form (i.e., you still need an instructor handy - but maybe
that's a function b-Hebrew can provide). Also, I'm told that Holladay's
lexicon is about the best to use, though the formidable Brown Driver &
Briggs is still a first choice for may.
Hope that adds to the discussion.
-Ed Gorham
egorham AT ackerley.com