b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 25:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 25:1
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 00:37:24 -0400

On 13 Jul 98, at 8:39, Glen Johnson wrote:

> What is the meaning of NAFSHI 'ESSA' (NEFESH NASA') in Psalm 25:1? The same
> phrase occurs in Psalm 86:4 and 143:8.
>
> Does it mean "I desire You" or is "I communicate with You my emotions,
> desires and passions?" I'm not trying to limit your options, but I am
> sharing with you the options that appear most likely to me.

The traditional Jewish commentaries explain as follows:

Rashi: "I direct my heart" viz., I direct my thoughts and feelings toward
you.

Radak: "I turn over my soul to you as a present or offering"

Ibn Ezra: That he directs his devotions to God and to no other.

Metzudat David: To rely one God

Lewis Reich
LBR AT sprynet.com