b-hebrew - Re: veil

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: veil
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:50:42 -0400

Dear Lewis,

At 12:41 AM 7/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On 8 Jul 98, at 13:45, B Rocine wrote:

>> LEST you think I am arguing that we should honor etymology over context
in
>> our translation, let me explain. My thoughts on _Paroket_ prefer
neither
>> etymology nor context. The etymology(to be harsh, severe) is consistent
>> with the context(a barrier between people and the Lord). In fact, the
>> context *implies* the etymology. I believe it is good translatyion and
>> exegesis carry etymology and context together, and there is no reason
why we
>> can't with _Paroket_.
>
>I'd be curious to know what evidence there is that the root means "to be
>harsh, severe" other than the rather enigmatic use of the word "b'pharekh"
>describe the labor imposed on the Israelites.

Eze 34:4, Lev 25:53 are pretty clear.

>> LEST you think I am merely arguing for a more literal translation than
>> "veil," let me explain that, too. There is nothing more or less literal
in
>> either "veil" or "barrier." "Barrier" is more precise, not more
literal.

>Since "barrier" in English connotes something solid rather than a fabric,
it
>seems to me rather less accurate than, say, "curtain".

It is indeed inadvisable to impose theology upon the translation of a
particular word, a crime for which I am not admitting guilt, at least in
this case. ;-) On the other hand, to translate _ParoKet_ as "veil" or
"curtain" merely because we know that it was made of fabric obscures the
distinct use of the root PRK.

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor