b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: July 09, 1998

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Carl S. Ehrlich" <ehrlich AT YorkU.CA>
  • To: b-hebrew digest recipients <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: July 09, 1998
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:39:52 -0500

Bryan Racine wrote concerning the paroket: "It bars the human race from a
face-to-face communion with the Lord. It symbolizes the harsh judgment of
separation from God that is upon us all due to our sinfulness."

This appears to be an interpretation that imposes the later Christian
doctrine
of original sin on the text of the Hebrew Bible. I would be much more
comfortable with an interpretation that understands cultic/spatial barriers
such as the paroket within the context of biblical/priestly notions of
holiness
in the sense of separation.

Carl Ehrlich
Name: Prof. Carl S. Ehrlich
Director of Undergraduate Study
Division of Humanities
York University-Toronto
E-mail: Carl S. Ehrlich <ehrlich AT yorku.ca>
Fax: 1-416-736-5460
Tel.: 1-416-736-2100 ext. 77021