b-hebrew - Re: Gen 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul R. Zellmer" <zellmer AT pworld.net.ph>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 05:23:16 +0800

Jack Jackson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been having a discussion on the thranslation of Be Yom in Gen. 2:4.
> Weingreen says it is an irregular noun but is vague on what they are. Any
> ]
>
> help would be appreciated.
>
> JM Jackson

Jack,

Without knowing what work by Weingreen you are referencing, it is hard
to explain what he is referring to as an "irregular noun," but that
term normally applies to its form in derived states, like the construct
or plural forms. YOWM being irregular or regular in this way would have
no impact on its translation as long as you can determine what form is
found in the case at hand. I think you would agree that we have the
absolute form of the noun here with the preposition.

The breadth of meaning of the word is well attested in reference works.
I call your attention to Coppes article in Theological Wordbook of the
Old Testament, I:370-1, where he has other articles referenced.
However, what we have here is an idiomatic usage literally translated,
"in [the] day" or "when." It's combination with the infinitive `&OWT
specifies which time is being referred to here. This *idiomatic* use is
almost certainly *not* limiting YOWM to a 24-hour day, but it has no
bearing on other usages of the the word. (I'm still trying to guess
your difficulty!)

Hope this helps,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph

  • Gen 2:4, Jack Jackson, 06/27/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Gen 2:4, Paul R. Zellmer, 06/28/1998
    • Gen 2:4, Pere Casanellas, 06/28/1998
    • Re: Gen 2:4, Paul R. Zellmer, 06/29/1998