anima - [Anima Dance] Oh, Beautiful: My Patriot Act-- Premiere

anima@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Anima Dance

  • From: Rachel Brooker <brooker.rachel@gmail.com>
  • To: anima dance <anima@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Anima Dance] Oh, Beautiful: My Patriot Act-- Premiere
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:53:27 +0100

I'm very happy to invite you all to the premiere of

Oh, Beautiful: My Patriot Act

at Brotfabrik, Calgariplatz, Berlin
January 22, 2009
additional showings January 23-25
all showings at 8pm/20:00
12 Euro, 8 Euro students

***Lieber auf Deutsch? Pressemitteilung herunterladen.***

Oh, Beautiful: My Patriot Act is an evening-length performance using dance, text and video to present a kaleidoscope of qualities of the US today through the eyes of an expatriate. US-born Choreographer Rachel Brooker has lived in Berlin for three years, and through the benefit of distance has begun to address her native culture in her work. Dance, text, sound and video amplify, support and antagonize each other, just as Brooker’s contradictory perspectives and emotions about her homeland form, through their conflict, a fraught but coherent picture of US culture and politics at this moment in history.

I've been working on this project for almost two years. It began out of my deep frustration with the Bush administration and the status quo in the US, and my anxieties about the future of my country (and the world). Things in the US have changed dramatically since I started work on the piece, but the complexity, fragility and urgency of our cultural and political situation remain. The piece evolves as current events shape my feelings about my homeland. I'd be delighted to share this version, ephemeral as the day on which it is performed, with you.

Reserve tickets by calling 030 471 4001 / 02.
More information at www.animadance.org.

Viele warme Grüße,

Rachel

p.s.-  The premiere is just a few days after Obama's Inauguration on January 20th. Where will you be watching TV;)? If you're in Berlin, join me, Democrats Abroad Berlin, Republicans Abroad Berlin (all 8 of them) and a whole buncha other people at the Goya,  The Goya is very chic but tickets are a non-fatal 10 euros. 'Sgonna be hot.

More info and ticket reservations (important!) at www.blackboxberlin.info/barack obama.html.

anima dance
Rachel Brooker, Director