aifia-metrics - Re: [Aifia-metrics] metric submission reqs

aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Towards standard methods and metrics for evaluating IA

  • From: "Livia Labate" <liv AT livlab.com>
  • To: <aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-metrics] metric submission reqs
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:15:50 -0300

Hello Susan, thanks! :)
I'm sending this back to the metric list so everyone can discuss it

I didn't understand why asking submitters for the raw format. I think PDF
*ONLY* is the best possibility as it means we won't have to format anything
or have the author worry about us editing it.

I read the wiki doc and added some suggestion for the submission
requirements. Context: I'm thinking about it visualizing a submission form,
so this is how it looks in my mind:

1. Submitter information
- name
- email
- institution

2. Submission information:

a) Authors
- name
- email
- institution
(repeat for more authors, if applicable)

b) Category
- Checklist
- Heuristics
- Do's and dont's
- (add more)

c) Contents
- Abstract (brief explaination)
- Full submission (pdf format)

d) Legacy
- This submission is:
[ ] Original work
> example: a brand new metric
[ ] Adapted from an original for a specific context
> example: original 'ROI evaluation for UX',
adaption 'ROI evaluation for IA'
[ ] Adapted metric from original for similar context
> example: original 'ROI evaluation for UX',
adaption 'checklists for UX'

e) Comments about the submission

3. Metric Details

a) Use case (context):

- Goals of metric
> measure
[ ] ROI
[ ] Performance
[ ] Appeal
[ ] Other ________________
> validate
[ ] Requirements
[ ] Navigation
[ ] Labels
[ ] Design
[ ] Other ________________
> Refine
[ ] Prototype
[ ] Task flows
[ ] Final product
[ ] Other ________________

- Application
[ ] post requirement gathering
[ ] post content organization
[ ] post structure creation
[ ] post layout
[ ] post prototype
[ ] post launch

- Type
[ ] Qualitative
[ ] Quantitative
[ ] Hybrid

b) Characterization of the Metric/Method

- Case Study
> What application(s)/system(s) it was used for?
> Was it successful for that purpose?
> Other aspects of usage

- Outcome and conclusion
> Pros (Advantages)
> Cons (Limitations)

c) Resources involved
- People
> Professionals
> Test subjects
- Time
> Preparation
> Implementation
> Evaluation
> Reporting
- Technology
> Hardware
> Operational System
> Software
> Accessories
> Other materials

d) Audience
- who would use this metric?
[ ] Senior IA's
[ ] Junior IA's
[ ] Business Executives
[ ] Project Managers
[ ] Statisticians
[ ] Developers
[ ] Designers
[ ] Others _______________

- who would sign-off/approve this metric's results?
(who you would share this information with & the level of understanding or
experience required to "get" it)

[ ] I agree with <link>AIFIA's metric submission terms</link>.

The subitems for all questions need to be improved, I just added some to
contextualize, but I ran out of time to work on this further. I hope it
helps.

Cheers,

Livia Labate
http://livlab.com