aifia-metrics - Re: [Aifia-metrics] metrics submissions

aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Towards standard methods and metrics for evaluating IA

  • From: Rashmi Sinha <rashmi AT rashmisinha.com>
  • To: <aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-metrics] metrics submissions
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 11:23:16 -0700

At 03:06 PM 8/8/2003 -0300, Livia Labate wrote:
There is a thread on SIGIA-L where someone asked about IA metrics. The
replies got me thinking that we should also consider accepting submissions
of informal metrics. I mean, since the meeting on MSN I got the impression
Rashmi focused a lot on more concrete work (papers on the subject), but I
think we can learn a lot about IA metrics by getting more anecdotal data
from submitters.

If I seemed biased towards papers, then blame my academic background for that :-)

Actually, I don't think we should look for papers. But I confess to a leaning towards concrete work (i.e., methods you have actually used), have the requisite description for, including any materials needed.

So, my leaning is not towards papers. Rather it is towards (a) previously used and (b) well documented set of materials which describe the How to, and the context of previous usage. The idea is that another person can read a description and mostly use it based on the documentation provided.

This is a good time to discuss what type of submissions we are looking for. So please chime in with your thoughts on this issue.

-Rashmi

http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0308/0088.html

Cheers,

Livia Labate