aifia-announce - AIfIA Newsletter for 25-August 2003

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: Jeff Lash <jeff AT jefflash.com>
  • To: AIfIA Announce List <aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AIfIA Newsletter for 25-August 2003
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:39:59 -0500

Asilomar Institute for Information Architecture
--> http://www.aifia.org

The AIfIA newsletter is published every other week
(pretty much) and features news about what's new with
AIfIA and with our partner sites.

So let's get to the news!

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH AIFIA -- http://www.aifia.org ----

1) AIfIA ANNUAL REPORT FOR 2002-2003
The AIfIA annual report for 2002-2003 has just been
published, and here are a few highlights:
* AIfIA is now squarely in the black, and
well-positioned to support initiatives and maintain
infrastructure in the coming year.
* By August of 2003, AIfIA had over 400 members from 26
countries.
* Recent bylaw revisions have given AIfIA a more
traditional, more streamlined governance model.
The full annual report is available to all on the AIfIA
web site.
--> ANNUAL REPORT: http://aifia.org/news/000179.php

2) AIfIA MEMBERSHIP
Help make our second year even better. Sign up today
and get all of the benefits of membership, including
members-only job listings and a job board.
--> JOIN US: http://aifia.org/signup/

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS ----

-- IASLASH -- http://www.iaslash.org

Some good links that have been posted to iaslash in the
past few weeks:

What being user-centered means for UX professional
groups...
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7443

Using CSS for Prototyping
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7434

iaslash is daily news for information architects,
operated by AIfIA
--> http://iaslash.org/

-- BOXES AND ARROWS -- http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

Two good recent Boxes and Arrows articles:

1) The Power of Process, The Perils of Process
"In my experience, I have found that creating and
documenting process has been a good exercise to help
institutionalize ways of working, to help educate new
team members as well as to unveil the mysteries of what
we do for executives, product folks, and development
teams."
--> http://tinyurl.com/h3tr

2) Semiotics: A Primer for Designers
Semiotics teaches us as designers that our work has no
meaning outside the complex set of factors that define
it. The deeper our understanding and awareness of these
factors, the better our control over the success of the
work products we create.
--> http://tinyurl.com/l6jp

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/2003_07.php

All previous articles by categories
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/cat_index.php

Boxes and Arrows is the definitive source for the
complex task of bringing architecture and design to the
digital landscape.
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/

-- IAWIKI -- http://www.IAwiki.net/

What is Faceted Classification?
--> http://www.iawiki.net/FacetedClassification

How can I mentor other IAs?
--> http://www.iawiki.net/HowToMentor

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

IAwiki is a collaborative discussion space for the
topic of Information Architecture. Anyone can
contribute, and there are no pre-registration hoops to
jump thru.
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/

-- ARGUS CENTER FOR INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE --
http://argus-acia.com/

Retail Ecologies, E-commerce, and Information
Architecture
By Dennis Schleicher and Jennifer Kush

This white paper discusses information architecture in
terms of retail ecology theory and how it translates to
e-commerce. It begins by defining what a retail ecology
is, and then discusses how the information architecture
of e-commerce sites can change for four different types
of retail ecologies. It finishes by discussing examples
of IA features used by different sites for different
retail ecology purposes.

--> http://argus-acia.com/white_papers/ethnography.html

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd
like to see included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing
subscription?