acawiki-general - [acawiki-general] AcaWiki futures, Wikimedia project proposal?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "AcaWiki general (listserv)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Neeru Paharia <neerupaharia AT gmail.com>, "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • Subject: [acawiki-general] AcaWiki futures, Wikimedia project proposal?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:40:43 -0800

Moving an email thread that started as a bug report to acawiki-general; this discussion could use more voices. Most of thread is archived in bug comments at http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue780

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Benj. Mako Hill <mako AT atdot.cc> wrote:
<quote who="Mike Linksvayer" date="Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:53:00AM -0800">
> - I don't think SMW is a must. It is fluff. The important things about
> AcaWiki are the summaries and the people who write them; content and
> community. I'm a huge SMW fan, not advocating getting rid of it, but I'd
> like to recognize that there is nothing special about the software re
> AcaWiki, other than that it is a wiki.

I agree completely. SMW is great on AW, but not necessary. I would
happily happily trade away all the benefits of SMW for the opportunity
to be more closely integrated into the WikiMedia Community with the
huge influx in contributions that would likely coincide with.

> - WMF adoption, or even just lots more experienced Wikipedians
> contributing to AcaWiki, would be an awesome outcome. What can we do
> to push/explore/not preclude? In August (IIRC) Neeru and I talked
> about creating a WMF new project proposal.

That's the right way to do it. There is another recent proposal called
WikiScholar. It's a nice proposal but I think we should actually
propose AcaWiki. Honestly, I think the most likely outcome is that the
two projects will be merged. And I think that's will be a good
outcome, but I think it's work developing a proposal on our own.

Great. I imagine we should start hashing one out on AcaWiki in the AcaWiki: namespace and move to meta.wikimedia.org (IIRC) when semi-well-formed, but happy to do any other way.

> Of course they've all failed since ~2006, but it would be good
> outreach no matter what. I'd still be happy to do this. Thoughts?

That doesn't matter. There is very serious talk in WMF about trying to
resurrect this. People in the foundation and the community think that
the lack of new projects is a problem. There is new community
infrastructure which has specifically been created to deal with this.

Rumblings are that there will is likely to be a serious genealogy
project (probably a merger of two or more separate wiki genealogy
projects) through the proposal by the end of the year. I think the
time is ripe.

I don't think it matters because it would be good outreach no matter what, but even happier to hear realistic chance of new Wikimedia projects. Very exciting!

> - This should probably be occurring on acawiki-general; feel free to send
> replies there if you agree.

Yes. We need to start a thread there to see if others will support
this.

A new project proposal needs to be supported by say, a half a dozen or
a dozen participants from the project plus a bunch of Wikimedians. It
should also have some sort of proof of concept. I think we have all
that. Let's start the conversation on the public list.

We're close anyway. Conversation moved.

Mike

--
https://creativecommons.net/ml

  • [acawiki-general] AcaWiki futures, Wikimedia project proposal?, Mike Linksvayer, 02/15/2011