acawiki-general - [acawiki-general] AcaWiki should be multilingual

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer AT gmail.com>
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [acawiki-general] AcaWiki should be multilingual
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:53:03 +0200

Hello,

I'm a PhD student, and I have a blog where I post summaries in Arabic of recent research that's been published in my field in European languages.  I was hoping to be able to contribute these summaries to AcaWiki, but I was disappointed to find that it's English-only.

AcaWiki is a great idea, but it's unacceptable for it to be monolingual, all the more so if it's aimed at a general audience.  Most people in the world don't speak English.  Moreover, English-speakers already have much easier access to scientific knowledge than non-English-speakers (other things being equal); it's the non-English-speakers who most urgently need something like AcaWiki.

Ben

--
http://sites.google.com/site/benjamingeer/