[Wheatsville] You heard it here first! Plus produce deliciousness and more!

Dan gillotte dangillotte at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:36:27 EDT 2009

I am so pleased to announce that we are setting our alarm clocks earlier so
that all of our early bird owners and fans can get their Wheatsville fix
even sooner every day! Starting on Monday June 15th Wheatsville will open at
7:30am. So set your rooster now, so you can join us bright an early! Our
Fair Trade Organic Coffee bar will be ready for you along with its friend
the Breakfast Taco! (So, how does it feel to be in the know early?! Only
staff and you e-mail fans know this right now. But you can tell your friends
if you want!)

*Coffee with the board this Saturday*
Enjoy some coffee and treats this Saturday morning from 10 am to noon on our
patio. Visit with the board and talk with them about the store, cooperative
principles and vision, the weather, or the trandsormation of society!

*Need Thistle?*

Artichokes are a special treat that is fun to eat. We've got' em at the
front of the store so come on in and grab one!  Artichokes are very
versatile and more can be done than just steaming them. You can stuff them
with your favorite sausage or veggie sausage and cook them in the oven. I
still like them steamed, peeling and dipping and being oh so excited when I
pull out the choke and devour the heart. Share one with someone you love!

*Local Produce Coming In*

It is that time of year where we start seeing more local vegetables in our
produce department. We've been getting some really nice leafy greens and
vegetables from Montesino Farms, Tecolote, Buena Tierra, Urban Roots and
Onion Creek. The kids over at Urban Roots have been producing some amazing
collard greens this season. From Tecolote we've been getting bagged salad
mixes and arugula, purple and green kholrabi, and a few other odds and ends.
Onion Creek has been producing some execellent bunched red beets, and
gorgeous green chard. Eating local produce is a great way to shorten your
food chain, and buying it from your co-op is a great way to keep your money
in your community!

*Cul de Sac*
Thank you to everyone who has been patient while we have relocated to our
little nook. This is only a temporary home for your produce department and
we feel like we are making it work pretty well. Once again, big thanks to
all of the customers coming by and visiting us in our temporary home.

*Word from the meat department*

We continue to make some really nice Quick to Fix items. Look for these in
our full service case:
*Moroccan Lamb patties: *flavorful spicy sausage patty with fresh cilantro &
parsley various other spices – these are becoming very popular.
*Cajun Catfish: *a lil spicy taste of the south with no msg, preservatives,
and additives. Fresh made Italian sausage link: We make and stuffed these in
house, by hand (a first!). Add the flavor of fennel, garlic, and just a
little spice to make your spaghetti jump off the plate.
*Garlic and herb chicken*: featuring Buddy’s Boneless white meat marinated
in garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano. This is a great piece of
chicken! It is versatile in the kitchen and can be used as a topper for a
salad or mixed with pasta and fresh veggies or pesto.
*Salmon patties*: Made with wild caught Alaskan salmon and flavored with
sesame oil, soy sauce, and ginger.
*New Wheatsville Made Chorizo* from all Niman pork.
*Don't miss a whole bunch of our favorite local products in the
freezer:*Thunderheart Bison, Bastrop Cattle Company Grassfed Beef,
Richardson's
Pastured Pork.

The deli!!!!!!

Fresh in the Deli for the month of May we have two great recipes.  The first
recipe comes to us from Ashland Food Co-op in Ashland Oregon. *Raw Sundried
Tomato Sunflower Pate* is a perfect early summer appetizer.  We take
sundried tomatoes and blend with raw tahini, green onions, fresh basil,
lemon juice, garlic and sunflower seeds creating just the right pate for
spreading on a hearty cracker or fresh pita bread triangles. Serve with
stuffed grape leaves for a light lunch.  The other recipe is from Putney
Food Co-op in Putney Vermont. * Balsamic BBQ Chicken Wings* bring a twist to
a barbeque favorite-chicken wings all dressed up in balsamic vinegar BBQ
sauce then grilled to perfection.  Compliment with fresh vegetables or a
healthy side dish.

The smoothie of the month is *PB&J smoothie.*  This is a strawberry &
blueberry delight!  We blend organic soymilk with creamy organic peanut
butter and of course, strawberries & blueberries.  This smoothie will remind
you of the simple delights of being a kiddo.

Our salsa of the month is *Tomatillo Fire* – roasted blend of serranos,
jalepenos, and poblanos, blended with tomatillos.  This is one of my
favorite salsas because it is great on anything!

*From Greg, in the land of cheese*
I would like to welcome back some favorite Pureluck products to our shelves.
If you love goat cheese and blue cheese you will be in lactose heaven.
First of all, a big howdy to Pureluck’s  blue ribbon winner, *Hopelessly
Blue. *Also returning is their ode to the camembert, the Del Cielo.  Their
delightful* Feta i*s also gracing our shelves once again. And in case you
haven’t already noticed this treat, the meat department is now selling an in
house hot Italian sausage. This sausage would go great with any of our
locally made fresh pasta. I would recommend using it with the *Butternut
Squash ravioli.* The sausage’s savoriness  will compliment the sweetness of
the ravioli.  Enjoy the treasures that ere to be found in the cheese case
and trust me, you should really try the sausage & butternut squash.

*STAFF PIcks!*
Check out our “Staff Top Ten Picks” posted throughout the store, we work
here and shop here!!!
Look for the green signs in front of the products.

Featuring Ray Wilder, Deli Counter:
*The deli's Beet and Kale Salad:* Yum, yum, yum, yum!  Healthy, raw,  juicy
and delicious!  I could eat it everyday!
*The deli's Spicy Greens: *Brilliant dark greens with the perfect amount of
flavor and spice...great on a black bean taco!
*Bakery*: Any of our bakeries gluten-free cakes...especially the chocolate
ones!!  Sheesh, it doesn't get any better than this!!
*Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge Coconut Bliss*: The best coconut ice cream
around!  Organic, fair trade, sweetened with agave...you almost feel healthy
eating it, but it's so dreamy, you won't even care!!
*GT's Guava Kombucha*: Hawai'i in Feburary plus stomach settling
relief...refreshing and soothing!
*Margarita's Corn Tortillas:* Local, non-GMO, awesome corny yumminess!!
*FES Flower Essences*: Powerful support for your heart and body...choose
from an array to meet your individual needs!:
*Sunflower Butter:* Affordable, delicious protein...try it in a smoothie!!
*Texas Pecans*: Gotta eat those wonderful local nuts!!  What a treat!
*Go take a hike mix:*  If you're not a fan already, you will be...unique,
scrumptious energy!!

Featuring Beth Buetel, Cashier
*Organic Raw Cashew Butter*- smooth, creamy, addictive. great on carrots! or
a spoon =/
*No pudge brownie mix*-  to make two-bite brownies: put in mini-muffin pans
for half the time
or... if that's too long... just add yogurt?!? So easy! So fudgey!
*Katz' Midnight Blue Coffee*- Dark, full, and smooth. It makes me linger.
*Alexander  Family Farm Eggs*- Good baking starts with good eggs and these
are perfection!
*Remember When Butter*- Makes everything you cook or bake taste like heaven.
*Raw Revolution Raspberry & Chocolate Bar*- It's like my favorite
wheatsville berry brownie- but no flour!
*Cel-Ray Soda*- Refreshment perfection. Surprisingly celery like- but no
strings!
*Richardson's Farms Pork Products.* the pan-style sausage is divine, but
they're all delicious...
*The deli's new breads!!!-* Rosemary Loaf. So good you just might have to go
to confession.
*Pure Luck Farms herbs*- Wafting up gorgeous scents wherever they go. Dill,
Thyme & Love.

*Rush Hour Recipes*
With the start of a new month comes a new Rush Hour Recipe! Yay!  This month
features *Chicken With Chimichurri Sauce.*
Every month we'll feature a new entree recipe (featuring a mix of
vegetarian, non-vegetarian and vegan options) at the Deli Counter and on our
website. We will keep an archive of recipe cards at the member center as
well, so that you can pick one up and use it for your dinner shopping. You
can even use these recipes to build your own recipe book. These recipes come
from various co-ops all over the States, which is pretty cool. Plus they
have been kitchen tested so you trust them to turn out right. Increase your
kitchen repertoire with these quick, easy, fresh, entree recipes.  Follow
this link to see the Rush Hour Recipes:
http://wheatsville.coop/recipeindex.html

I hope that you have a great week!

Dan