[pleurothallid-l] Re: pleurothallid-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

leo.schordje at degussa.com leo.schordje at degussa.com
Thu Jul 22 13:59:15 EDT 2004

Linda,
      I have seen keiki's most frequently on my Restrepia, but also on my
Masdevallia, Zootrophion, and Pleurothphallids. I've seen this frequently
enough that I figure this is normal. I remove them and pot them up once
they have roots over 1 inch long or are physically big enough to handle.
being in a 2 inch pot.  Sometimes I leave them on the plant, I have had
keiki's on keiki's all blooming on a restrepia. No big deal if you don't
mind the messy look.
      Better growers than I, tell me Keiki's are a response to less than
ideal growing conditions.  They are a convenient way to propagate a plant.
I would not worry about them.
Leo

From: "Linda Sedlacek" <lmg6534 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: [pleurothallid-l] A question

My Pleurothallis hemirhoda is developing what looks like a keiki.  It's
a baby coming from where the flowers normally develop (I think it's
called the ramicaul, but I'm not sure and I don't have my cheat sheet
nearby)  Is this normal?  I have one large "keiki" that has a leaf that
is unfolding and lots of roots and two small "keikis" that are just a
single small folded leaf.  Should I leave them?  If not, at what size
should I cut them off?  I am really quite confused because I never
thought that a pleurothallid would keiki!