[permaculture] Fwd: Need ID for insect pollinator - maybe a wasp

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:31:18 EDT 2016

Year to year I have these wasp-like pollinators, usually foraging on my
peppermint blooms.
It has shiny irridescent dark purple wings that lay flat on its body and
completely cover it.
I havent googled it yet but I doubt it is a beefly, which I have not seen
for years (at least not the large common one
that can hover motionless in the air in one spot and instantly fly away at
great speed, sometimes zigzagging).
Is there widespread demise of beeflies from herbicide and insecticide use.
Bees seem to dominate the news in
that context but how many other species of insects are going extinct from
irresponsible and uncecessary use of chemicals
and environmental pollution ingeneral.
Can anyone identify it?

​
--