[permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

georg parlow g.parlow at gmx.at
Sun Jan 5 11:47:10 EST 2014

> That's amazing Georg. It would be interesting to see pictures of your
> duckweed pond, pool or wetland.

Hi Lawrence - see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30599070/AP/IMG_0218.JPG
  and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30599070/AP/IMG_0258.JPG -
it is not easy to see, all of my 7 sump tanks are covered with duck
weed - it's the blue things under the growbeds.

> that purpose). Could you describe your BSF and crawfish systems? Is
> flowing
> cold water required for crawfish production?

well, as I said, my BSF system didn't work - it is a blue 200 gallon
barrel laid on it's side, with a lid cut into the top side, a little
pipe with a faucet on the bottom (to harvest the compost tea), and
some 40mm pipes cut lengthwise leaning in the compost to act as
ladders so the larvae can self-harvest by climbing out on them and
then dropping into a container unfer the end of the pipe - ut this is
the part that didn't work. I had some larvae allright (to little, most
of them were dead by the time the arrived at my place via mail), and
they transformed lots of compost, but I never harvested any larvae. I
will report on my new layout as soon as I have a working model - and I
am confident, I got in touch with a lady growing BSF for food, and
will get together with her to inprove my model according to her
experience.

Crawfush system not yet exisiting. It is planned to have a simple,
rather shallow trough with some decaying plant matter in it - the
water flow goes into this and then via overflow on to the fish tank -
any escapee is munched, and ever now and then I just scoop some out
with a spagetthi sieve and throw them in with the fish. I am also
thinking of growing a bigger crawfish - maybe the common yabby, Cherax
destructor, in the DWC bed under the plants. This would be mainly for
food, and if they propagate too profusely, feeding the small to the
fish.

Best,
Georg