[permaculture] Berms, catchments, swales and now stonelines (bund), and hugelkultur

Rich Blaha rich at mossbackfarm.com
Fri Jul 5 12:59:17 EDT 2013

Nice link.  I just finished writing up a grant project we did on the
farm that incorporated water catchment into our seasonal creek channels,
with a little bit of hugelkultur (basically burying logs into creek
terraces).  I need to do some mop-up work this summer/fall, but there's
a rundown of the process and a link to a string of pictures here

http://www.mossbackfarm.com/2013/07/gullies-part-3/

Cheers

Rich
www.mossbackfarm.com
https://www.facebook.com/Mossbackfarm

_____________

>/ From a Facebook page: Avantgardens
/
Climate Change Adaptation Technology: Stonelines.

Stone lines or "bunds" slow down runoff, incerease water infiltration and
for the basis for improved production in semi-arid areas. At the same time,
sediment is captured behind these semi-permeable barriers. Stone lines were
originally a traditional technique in the Sahel, but have been improved by
careful construction, and through alingning on the contour. Stone lines are
suited to low slopes, high runoff and hand labour. A simple remedy that
really works. Wide and deep planting pits are often used in combination,
acting as microcatchments within the field.

http://youtu.be/RQkiv_U5AoU