[permaculture] History of Organic Agriculture slide presentation

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 24 12:37:28 EDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] History of Organic Agriculture slide presentation
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:37:07 -0400
From: Joel Gruver <jgruv at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello Michael,

Almost exactly 13 years ago, I posted the following message to the SANET
listserv:

Hello to all...

While perusing a book titled Fauna in soil ecosystems: recycling
processes, nutrient fluxes and agricultural production (edited by Gero
Benckiser, Marcel Dekker, 1997,

ISBN 0-8247-9786-8) I encountered a very interesting quote attributed to
  an individual somewhat infamous in sustainable ag circles. In 1855,
Justus Von Liebig wrote:

"Unfortunately the true beauty of agriculture with its intellectual and
animating principles is almost unrecognized. The art of agriculture will

be lost when ignorant, unscientific and short sighted teachers persuade
the farmer to put all his hopes in universal remedies, which don't exist

in nature. Following their advice, bedazzled by an ephemeral success,
the farmer will forget the soil and lose sight of his inherent values
and their influence."

The original source of this quote is Liebig von, J. (1855)  Die
Grundsatze der Agriculturchemie mit Rucksicht auf die in England
angestellten Untersuchungen. Braunschweig.

Those are some interesting words to ponder in this age of biotech
promises of "universal remedies"...

Joel Gruver

Center for Agriculture, Food and Environment

Tufts University

P.S. I have the original German if anyone is interested

Liebig was indisputably a great scientist and educator who made many
landmark contributions to inorganic and organic chemistry and the
teaching of these topics.

For some reason however proponents of both organic agriculture and
industrial agriculture seem prone to circulating misinformation about
the man.

The wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justus_von_Liebig)
contains several obvious errors:

Liebig did NOT formulate the law of the minimum and for much of his
career believed that all crops had access to N from the air and thus
would not benefit from supplemental N.

I address some of these myths in the presentation at the following link:

http://www.slideshare.net/jbgruver/history-soil-fertility

JI Rodale was not a scientist... he was a publisher and public speaker
who greatly increased public exposure to the ideas of A Howard, W
Albrecht, L Bromfield, E Pheiffer, M Fukuoka, R McCarrison, W Price...

Howard and Albrecht did not have the same views... but they shared a
common interest in relationships between soil fertility/management and
crop, livestock and human health.

I emphasized this point in class last week when we discussed the slides.

Joel

Joel Gruver

School of Agriculture

Western Illinois University