[permaculture] Fast growing nitro fixers, semi tropics

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 07:29:15 EDT 2012

Casaurina is terribly invasive here. It drowns out everything else, sucks up the water in the everglades, and nothing else grows in Casaurina stands. I mean literally, nothing. Not one weed. The needles and how close the pines grow doesn't allow anything else to grow. This is why I'm careful with what I bring into this system.

We use moringa liberally. I plant many moringa wherever I go. It is a very strong tree for this area, but it is not nitrogen fixing. It is a dynamic accumulator though. I haven't been able to bring myself to chop it for biomass, or use it for that because it has so many other incredible uses. But it does grow fast, from cuttings and seed both, so it is really a viable source for biomass. It also doesn't get that big, so is perfect in many ways. This tree really is a miracle tree on many fronts. It is my favorite permaculture tree here. It does freeze back, but comes right back and gets 20 feet tall or taller in one season. An amazing life giving tree!!!

Tamarind grows here in certain neighborhoods, it will freeze out in others. Same with Ice Cream Bean. We literally have zone changes from block to block because of the marine influence and the jet stream which reaches all the way down Florida sometimes. Carob likes it more dry than here - Mediterranean is perfect. But I want to try to grow some anyway, because I love it. Tipi Tipu gets too big for most backyards here, but could be used for chop and drop. A couple of people are using it here.

I've used some of the Zone 4 plants you've mentioned. Again, I'm planting on an indian reservation and will not bring in anything that might alter their ecosystem, out of aggressiveness. It is just not my call to do that on someone else's soveriegn land. I'll check out everything you mentioned - I'm not familiar with a few of them.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition