[permaculture] pc aquaponics

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 8 12:09:24 EDT 2012

On 10/8/2012 9:54 AM, Rob Crook wrote:
> I want to let you know that we are looking to work with aquaponic
> projects to test out if our floating treatment wetlands can provide
> enough fish food in the form of periphyton to the system. This is an
> approach that seems to be accepted by several researchers in the
> field.
>
> Do you think there is any interest in our islands to be incorporated
> into aquaponics projects?

Hello Rob:

I would think so since your floating islands are essentially modified
chinampas. You are talking crop irrigation with wicked up nutrient rich
pond water. This could become an essential element in the wetlands zone
system I described, growing aquatic plants to feed tilapia, and offer a
new function t that zone, plant production on the floating
island/chinampa. These crops could be edible, livestock feed,
ornamental, more fish food, used for further water filtration and
purification or biomass used for soil improvement and compost.

Thanks for this important suggestion, a missing element in previous
discussion.

I forgot to mention figs as another "whole systems" crop.

We still need to get a cup of coffee in Chapel Hill sometime.

Lawrence London