[permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 7 15:31:26 EDT 2012

On 10/7/2012 9:53 AM, georg parlow wrote:
> my personal strategie is eating them. Seriously. Of course this only
> works in a garden situation - but this year in my 80m2 community

I did not know that pigweed was edible.

> garden plot radishes (which were sown) and wild spinach (mostly A.
> spinosus, some Atriplex and Cheniopodium) was my main harvest for the

Chenopodium album, lambs quarters
leaves fresh and raw are excellent in salads

> first few months. I love the stuff, mostsly cooked up in curries :P
> Later, when the 'real vegetables' came on strong, I just pulled them
> when they got too large, but I deliberately left some going to seed...
> The plot to my left is occupied by an east indian family, and they
> sowed a red-leaf variety of Amaranth, that looks just like A. spinosus.

Never heard of that plant; was thinking you might have meant Red Shiso
Perilla frutescens
red chiso
beefsteak leaves
used with umeboshi plums and alone in Japanese cooking or as a condiment
it has a lot of flavor, unique
ume plum, beefsteak leaf, rice all go well together