[permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus

georg parlow g.parlow at gmx.at
Sun Oct 7 09:53:31 EDT 2012

my personal strategie is eating them. Seriously. Of course this only
works in a garden situation - but this year in my 80m2 community
garden plot radishes (which were sown) and wild spinach (mostly A.
spinosus, some Atriplex and Cheniopodium) was my main harvest for the
first few months. I love the stuff, mostsly cooked up in curries :P
Later, when the 'real vegetables' came on strong, I just pulled them
when they got too large, but I deliberately left some going to seed...
The plot to my left is occupied by an east indian family, and they
sowed a red-leaf variety of Amaranth, that looks just like A. spinosus.

Best,
Georg