[permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 05:27:43 EDT 2012

Hi,

I remember reading that Egyptian farming a few thousand years ago produced a higher yield per acre than industrial farming in the US today.

My files and data resources are in a complete mess and I can’t find that reference again.  I now need it because I’m involved in a general discussion forum about the need for sustainable farming.  These people are completely ignorant about farming and firmly believe that industrial farming is the most efficient farming method in existence.  They won’t believe anything I say unless I come up with some good references.

Can somebody help me out with some easy to understand references or scientific studies showing example of traditional farming that did achieve a higher yield than industrial farming.

Thanks,
Dieter