[permaculture] Food forest on the rez

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 17:20:29 EDT 2011

Hi, Darren,
Thank you for the advice. Common Vision is a good idea - didn't think they traveled out of S. Calif but worth a shot. We still want our own bus as we plan to use it as a mobile cultural and sustainability library for the rez and "multiple function" it to bring sustainability in several formats - the rez currently has NO public library!
I hear you on cheap stocks, we do plan to graft and buy cheap - we have been working on a shoe string budget and we're all volunteering here, and have been getting a lot done, for the money. We constantly recycle, reuse, reduce.  We have access to some fairly mature windbreak stock and already have somewhat sheltered areas so we feel we can plant fruit trees this year, and we have some very nice composted soil from animal manures, etc. We want to get the nursery going so stuff can start growing now for next year.  We'll be planting at least two food forests on the site (we have 42 acres), the first one will be experimental to see what envelopes we can push and how we can push them. We will of course use our tools and knowledge and do our best to ensure maximal success. But we do need to push the envelope here. The reason being, is that the situation here is somewhat desperate on the subject of food and we really do not have the luxury of adding a lot
 of time to this activity. So the sooner we get this going, the better.