No subject

Wed May 4 18:08:57 EDT 2011

but what scientists do) is part of the political dialectic. IMHO though,
the most pertinent materialist interpretation of science is a feminist
one as exemplified by the writings of Carolyn Merchant and Susan Griffin.
Now the
needs
and S.K. Harrison [Sean] replied
The problem that I have with this reply (albeit partially answered later
by S.) is that it postulates an evolution of science which is inherently
progressive and therefore better and/or more accurate and/or more complete
etc. From this point of view the subjective experience of Souscayrous'
and his saw counts for naught - but just because you can operate a supercollider
doesn't mean you can operate a saw!
farmland up until a very few years ago was to clear all native bush and
to plant wall to wall crops and or pasture. This was dictated by the banks
backed up with scientific research about yields and productivity. This
was in spite of the fact that it had been well established since 1910 that
land clearing led to dry land salinity which resulted in a permanent and
catastrophic loss of productivity.
between 1910 and 1980 the majority of farmers were considered to be men)
cajoled, pleaded and persuaded successfully their husbands to preserve
the remaining few acres of bushland that was uncleared on their block for
usually very 'feminine' reasons (it was beautiful, it's where we have our
picnic's, it's where our third child was conceived, the wild flowers are
lovely in spring etc. ) . This is not to say that some of these women did
not also use more 'scientific' arguments ( there are rare plants there,
the water's always been the best from that bore etc.)
have made themselves apparent - these remaining few acres have increased
in value as has the role of women in farming decision making. Nowadays,
'scientific' arguments about the preservation of bushland and the planting
of trees have usurped the 'feminine' arguments. Yet it is still widely
apparent in rural political discourse in this country that the protection
of biodiversity and the sustainable use of land are essentially sissy concerns
and that real men should take every last surplus tree out of the ground.
the
'all words
A melancholy position. It reminds me of the existentialist position of
Camus in The Plague. He is not alone in this response to the history of
science and politics in Western Europe from the time of Galileo onwards.
Even if his position infuriates Sean Harrison. who responds:
But indeed they do - in particular in relation to the cultural clash that
arises upon the contact between Western European and these cultures. The
Ptitjantjatjara ( the correct spelling) with whom I'm personally acquainted
and Aboriginal culture in Australia generally is rife with discussions
about the notion of self and the consequences of the two very different
viewpoints. The most ubiquitous point of contention and discussion is the
position of one self as separate from one's relations in European culture
and the reverse in Aboriginal culture. This reflects directly upon issues
of exchange, fairness, reciprocity and selfishness. A European uninterested
in this discussion will get short shrift in any Aboriginal community (urban
or Western desert).
the notion that there is such a thing as human progress which seems to
underlie Sean Harrison's defence of scientific method. To argue that the
world in 2001 is better off than it was in 1801 or 1901 is, I would contend,
fraught with problems. It would be like arguing that the world of Rome
in 300 AD was better than the world of Rome in 200 AD etc. At the time,
it may seem patently obvious - but within 50 years Rome was sacked and
the world entered a Dark Age ruled by petty tyrants and the occasional
Arthurian legend. I need hardly point out the consequences of the depletion
of the earth's resources and the unsustainability of current practices
to people reading a permaculture news list. Why are they here in the catacombs
of the internet after all?