[permaculture] Pawpaws; was Re: Perennial Nonedible Oilseeds

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Fri Mar 11 10:53:54 EST 2011

mIEKAL,

I had the great opportunity to taste several different varieties last summer at the NAFEX conference in Indiana last summer.  We toured the Purdue University research farm and also Jerry Lehman's farm.  Purdue has a large test plot with many different named and un-named pawpaw varieties.  Jerry has quite a few different varieties of pawpaws as well, though he had fewer ripe ones at his place.  It was my first time to taste a pawpaw as well (even though I've lived for 46 years in pawpaw's native range) and I was delighted.  But what surprised me more was how different the various varieties tasted from each other!  One tasted more tropical; another more custard-y.  The unnamed, unimproved variety I tasted did have a little bit of an after-taste.  Not completely unpleasant, but I did like the named varieties better.  I came home and immediately ordered 14 more named (grafted) varieties to add to the 2 I already had and started my own pawpaw patch!  I've also added about another 20 pawpaw trees there that are improved, but unnamed varieties and I intended to add at least 3 times that many over the next 2 years as I sprout the seeds I collected from other NAFEX members.  I have seed from improved varieties in KY, Louisiana, and Indiana.  These are seeds produced from breeding two different named varieties.  I went pawpaw crazy!  :-)  Good luck with your trees in Zone 4!

--Leslie (zone 6b or 7a)