[permaculture] Building insulation (posted to the Appropedia FB page)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 22 06:46:41 EDT 2010

On 10/22/2010 6:35 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> (posted to the Appropedia FB page and the approtech list which is
> mirrored at the approtechnology blog, approtechnology.blogspot.com)
> <>
> I have direct experience with several types of insulation, having paid
> to have them installed in buildings on my property. I will try to post
> some useful feedback asap. Basically it consists of a list of preferred
> types of material:
> 1) nontoxic, nonflammable, waterproof, UVresistant, hard setting i.e.
> structural Spray-On Foam Insulation: Icynene and Demilec are two brands
> I am familiar with.
> 2) Rigid foam board insulating panels, nontoxic, nonflammable,
> in pressure strengths of 150psi to 600 psi. Brands include: CavityMate
> (blue) and Foamular (pink) from Dow, Corning, DuPont(?). Available sizes
> nclude 2'X8' and 4' scred)X8'
> 3) AAC Block, aerated, autoclaved concrete block. Brands include: Hebel
> and Aercon. Sizes and strengths: many sizes of panels, steel reinforced
> and blocks, different widths and lengths for load-bearing (with steel
> reinforced poured concrete beam as top course on walls) and non
> load-bearing walls (i.e. as cavity wall insulation, Ex.: between
> exterior and interior load-bearing concrete block or brick walls.
>
> I have used 1), 2) & 3).

Forgot a detail about 2): the material comes in thicknesses ranging from
1/2" to 2" in pressure strengths from 150 psi to 600 psi.
As for other insulating options there are a number of types of thin
panels (less than 1/2") that come in flexible rolls in varying widths
and semi-flexible folding panels and are either unfaced or faced with a
bonded aluminum foil backing; insulating material is either Cavitymate
or Foamular in the unfaced or some other type of closed cell flexible
foam insulation in the other.