[permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 16:35:24 EDT 2010

> Which bamboo varieties produce edible culms?

My bamboo book lists the following as being edible (the shoots not the culms):

bambusa arundinacea
phyllostachys aurea
phyllostachys aureosulcata
phyllostachys dulcis
phyllostachys flexuosa
phyllostachys nidularia
phyllostachys nigra ‘Boryana’
phyllostachys pubescens
pleioblastus hindsii
sasa palmate
thamnocalamus tessallatus

Another source also recommends phyllostachys heterocycla, phyllostachys praecox, phyllostachys iridescens.

I have a small phyllostachys that is edible.  I think it is phyllostachys aurea.  The nodes at the lower part are compressed and form a somewhat thicker and tapered base, which makes the culms useless for most other purposes.  The voles love the shoots too.

Dieter Brand
Portugal