[permaculture] Building the Blue Economy, with Gunter Pauli/SBCC April 23, 24, 25 Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Mar 18 08:57:05 EDT 2010

Building the Blue Economy, with Gunter Pauli
   ~ April 23, 24, 25, 2010 ~
Santa Barbara City College Campus, Santa Barbara, California

Hosted by the SBCC Center for Sustainability

Evening Talk & Book-signing, Fri. April 23, 7:30
- 9:30pm, Fe Bland Auditorium $15
Building the Blue Economy Workshop, SBCC Campus,
Sat. April 24, 9am - 5pm, $120 ($100 early
registration/April 3)
Retreat with Gunter Pauli, Sun, April 25, 10am -
4pm  $300 ($250 early registration/April 3)

How a new generation of entrepreneurs can bring
  innovations to the marketplace, secure basic needs for all,
and make sustainable businesses competitive.

Join the SBCC Center for Sustainability for a
rare chance to spend time with one of the most
innovative thinkers of our times.  Author of the
newly published book "The Blue Economy, 10 Years,
100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs" Gunter Pauli
challenges us to give up doomsday thinking...

Gunter Pauli suggests by emulating nature we can
evolve from an economy based on scarcity to an
economy based on abundance---the cascading,
nutrient rich, Blue Economy.  Founder of Zero
Emissions Research Initiatives (ZERI) Global
Network, Gunter Pauli pioneered the concept of
waste being seen as a resource that with creative
thinking, can be used to create multiple
enterprises from singular ones, with benefits for
the economy and the environment. Pauli is fond of
saying that returns on investment from these
kinds of business models far exceed those of
companies like Microsoft.

Famous eco-entrepreneur and passionate proponent
of green development worldwide, Pauli is the
former president of Ecover Biodegradable soap
company who built Europeís first ecological
factory.  Pauli is the founder and former
President of Worldwatch Europe, and a member of
the Club of Rome. He is the author of 17 books in
21 languages.

Event Co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network & SBCC Scheinfeld Center for
Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Event Info,
<http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>www.sbpermaculture.org,
margie at sbpermaculture.org, (805)962-2571

<<<<>>>>

On YouTube: Gunter Pauli introduces "The Blue
Economy" and it`s 100 innovations.

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHCEGalr7U&feature=player_embedded

100 Innovations:
  Gunter Pauli releases one innovation per week for 100 weeks
100 Innovations/one per week go to  http://www.blueeconomy.de

Introduction to the 100 innovations
  that could generate 100 million jobs within a decade

By Gunter Pauli

Imagine 100 innovations that could generate 100
million jobs over the next decade. Over the next
two years I will introduce these real
opportunities one by one, on the basis of
technologies proven by scientists to work, bench
marked as a business somewhere in the world, and
ready to be introduced anywhere.
  As an entrepreneur, who established 10
companies, I have always been searching for the
best way to enter the market, to out compete the
market leaders. An entrepreneur introduces
innovations, that respond to a need, generate
cash flow, create jobs and work with what is
readily available. With a track record in media,
databank management, internet and eco-products I
was very much impacted by my incapacity to see
how I created collateral damage, trying to
implement a new business model. What happened?
  As president of Ecover, I promoted biodegradable
soaps manufactured in a green factory with a huge
grass roof. I was shocked to learn that as demand
for palm oil - the main ingredient - increased,
more rain forest was destroyed. How could I ever
have overlooked that cleaning up the rivers in
Europe leads to the destruction of the habitat of
the orangutan? I learned the hard way that
biodegradability has nothing to do with
sustainability.
  As a consequence, it became a passion to imagine
a model that has no unintended consequences. I
searched for the opportunity to create companies
that outcompete on the market, thanks to solid
innovations, dramatically increasing
productivity, improving return on investment,
while operating in harmony with the ecosystems. I
imagined business that not only preserves the
environment, rather businesses that enhance the
ecosystems in which my companies operate.
  The United Nations University and the Japanese
Government offered me the chance to imagine such
businesses, scientifically proven and
economically viable. The platform in Japan
permitted me to build a team to pioneer concrete
examples from a beer brewery in Africa, to coffee
farming in Colombia and waste management in Japan.
  The hands-on cases inspired me to go back to
undertake a competitive analysis and make an
inventory of all innovations that are likely to
shape the future. A review of +2,200 innovations
revealed that only very few were adopted by
business. Of all the sustainable innovations
borrowed from nature only three that had become
main-stream with sales in excess of 100 million:
Velcro from the USA, Lotusan from Germany
marketed by Sto and Proboscis-inspired needles
from Japan made by Terumo.
  I turned to the projects I knew, the scientists
I visited, the CEOs I had met and discussed the
best ideas with business journalists, corporate
strategists, management scholars, policy makers
and innovation experts. Thanks to their input I
drew up a list of 100 innovations that are likely
to change the competitive game in many sectors.
  There was a major surprise. When the experts
advised me on the magnitude of potential job
generation, the number reached 100 million.
Checking the benchmarks before me, I was
surprised that one third of the business ideas
are already invoicing and the several innovations
represent platform technologies applicable in
dozens of sectors. This proves there is potential.
  A business model emerged that fundamentally
changes the rules on the market. Instead of a
triple bottom line, there is a triple cash flow,
not just for the company, also for the community.
How is this possible? Ever since management
focused on core business based on core
competence, companies have discarded any
opportunity outside their tight focus on
economies of scale, making more of the same
cheaper through mergers and acquisitions.

  The 100 cases that will be released one after
the other provide insights on how costs within
that core business model turn into multiple
incomes applying a concept known as economies of
scope. This clustering of value adding generates
revenues that did not even exist. This is the
core uniqueness of the competitive business
models that will be released one by one as of
February 22, 2010. There is more.

  Once entrepreneurs can generate multiple
revenues, value and cash flow, then it is easier
to understand why these innovations also create
jobs. On top of that, since value is created out
of something that had no value before, there is
no substitution effect. The traditional economist
will be surprised that higher productivity now
equates with job creation.
  While the generation of additional cash flow
will be a main argument, the fact that the market
leaders have limited means to formulate a
competitive response turns the odds in favor of
the entrepreneur.
  Companies that have decades of experience and a
loyal customer base worldwide, supported by a
stable cash flow and profit margins; will not
easily hand over a major part of business to a
newcomer. However, as postulated, these
innovations change the rules of the game, often
without openly informing the key players, taking
them off guard and without the internal
competences to respond.

  When I promoted a detergent to the market
without advertising, how could companies like
Unilever, Henkel and Procter react when their
marketing mix is dependent on advertising? This
is exactly the opportunity that entrepreneurs can
embrace.
  The portfolio of opportunities based on these
100 cases is vast. More than one entrepreneur,
more than one investor, more than one venture
fund can take the initiative. That is the main
reason for offering this inspiration open source.
  The 100 cases offer an insight into an emerging
economy - the Blue Economy- that is more
competitive, generates jobs, brings innovations
that steer business towards sustainability and
builds up social capital.
  Who would not like to join this?

Gunter Pauli

Author of the Blue Economy, 10 Years, 100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs

Visit The World Congress on Zero Emissions Initiatives:
  http://www.zeroemissionshawaii.org/

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous