[permaculture] Question about Earth Homes, thermal mass and humidity

Keith D Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 31 13:29:54 EST 2010

I have built and worked on cob, clay-straw, strawbale, and adobe in the SE, WNC. My favorite is clay-straw. All that I worked on (or observed) use a rubble trench with stone, urbanite, or concrete foundations and wide overhanging roofs.

Generally the foundation was installed, followed by framing, next the roof and finally the infill. Clay-straw has the advantage that when the seeds in the straw (there are always some and fresher is better) germinates it pulls the moisture out of the walls and when the grass dies it provides extra anchoring for plasters.

If you want to learn more and get your hands on some projects, go to Earthaven Ecovillage near Black Mountain / Asheville.

My general recommendation is to minimize strawbale and cordwood or use them on dryer upper stories.

I know what you mean about mold. We used to have it growing on glass and ceramic. Glad we live in Indiana now, where, although it's still humid, is not nearly as intense as further south. Our clay-straw house at Earthaven was one of the most mold-free there. Build on a breezy ridge if you can and avoid the valleys.

Keith