[permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn

mIEKAL aND qazingulaza at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:48:58 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Paul Cross <charybda at newmex.com> wrote:
> You don't say anything about the climate you're in or what you're
> sending the water into, so it's a little more of a challenge to respond.

Paul, I'm in southwest Wisconsin which annually gets lows below -25F.
My hope is to put the water either in a cistern or if I can figure it
out, one of the unused silos that are attached to the barn.  Even
better would be to deliver it inside a greenhouse & supply some kind
of low input aquaculture.

> If you have snow or hail, catching on the ground works better than
> gutters. A lined trench can send water to a pond, or underground
> cistern, or even a sump basin with a pump (option of last resort.) Snow
> and hail can slide right past the gutter or clog it.

Do you know of examples that have done the lined trench concept, I've
never seen it done?

~mIEKAL